I go to Church a lot. I'm an Episcopalian (formerly a catholicish Methodist, turned MCCer) . I'm also an aspiring Priest and Anthropologist( of the socio-cultural variety). Also, I'm a gay with a wonderful Boyfriend. This blog will likely be a combination of churchy things, anthropology, and things I find amusing. Please forgive my grammar and style, because most of my writing on here is stream of consciousness. I don't argue.
I generally defer to invisibleforeigner as a tumblr expert for this kind of thing because she always knows more than me, and she’s quick with the explanatory links.
But someone asked my opinion. So, okay. Here’s my not-so educated opinion.
I’m generally un-thrilled by our contemporary media culture’s fascination the idea that there might have been some woman that Jesus had sex with. I think, beyond being factually bullshit (and one, very late manuscript with ambiguous meaning doesn’t cancel out the overall bullshittiness), I think it’s sexist and degrading.
There were female disciples! It’s in the canonical scriptures! We know that Mary was present at Pentecost, that women followed (and funded) Jesus, that women were present at his crucifixion and that Jesus chose to appear first to Mary Magdelene.
And we know that women were central in early Christianity! Lydia the Purple Seller was the first European Christian, Perpetua of Carthage was one of the first, and most widely disseminated martyrdom accounts. We know there were hundreds, if not thousands of women whose Christian beliefs set them in direct conflict with their fathers and husbands and who were tortured and executed in no small part because their existence as Christians threatened the patriarchal social order.
Why do we erase or ignore these widely known, widely recorded roles of women in early Christianity and try to elevate this bullshit sexist conspiracy theory that implies the only role for a woman is as sex partner? Mary Magdalene is the Apostle to the Apostles and the First Evangelist, not Jesus’ Old Lady. Sheesh.
- fortunatefool-s likes this
- endtablecomments reblogged this from catherineaddington
- elfinsparkles likes this
- godforbids reblogged this from galesofnovember
- elephantemptress likes this
- greshnaya likes this
- jawdust likes this
- cuivienyarna reblogged this from cuivienyarna
- needsmoarg4 likes this
- orthopraxis likes this
- chizzong reblogged this from karlitay
- danysdracarys likes this
- theyoungradical likes this
- queen-yetta-rosenberg reblogged this from cuivienyarna
- tacawo reblogged this from cuivienyarna
- soleilvioleta likes this
- baptiste-radufes likes this
- kryokats likes this
- abstraktum likes this
- historiated likes this
- scrumtrulescent likes this
- cuivienyarna likes this
- activismisawar reblogged this from quietdisorder
- quietdisorder reblogged this from pedestrian-palamite
- pedestrian-palamite reblogged this from sweetandlovelygirl7
- pedestrian-palamite likes this
- sicutcervus reblogged this from karlitay
- youjeanne likes this
- almostperfectlyhuman reblogged this from karlitay
- karlitay reblogged this from sweetandlovelygirl7
- iguanaco likes this
- sweetandlovelygirl7 reblogged this from petripaulietmaria
- petripaulietmaria reblogged this from catherineaddington
- petripaulietmaria likes this
- amessofsadness reblogged this from friendlyangryfeminist
- theafterswarm likes this
- thedownsideofbeinghuman reblogged this from theafterswarm and added:
- doallthethingswithlove reblogged this from stereoma
- lizbarf likes this
- pegasusie likes this
- justasklionheart likes this
- gaballer likes this
- rtmp723 likes this
- shellyhunny reblogged this from dmbliss
- shellyhunny likes this
- ilookedanew reblogged this from catherineaddington
- kaleriydison likes this
- emm-in-sem reblogged this from ylagloria
- catherineaddington reblogged this from boldaswellas-strong
- vcrizzle reblogged this from boldaswellas-strong